🇬🇧🇺🇸Management Summary Modul 3 (27-29 June 2017)


The main focus on these 3 days where two topics. Empowerment and Stigma with mental illnesses.

Empowerment


A term and a concept I am still having problems to understand and to put in place in a clinic. Don’t know why, I read the explanation of it but it somehow doesn't have synched in yet.

Nonetheless I will try to explain, maybe then I will also start to understand the concept ;-)

The concept of empowering the patient is trying to give autonomy and self termination back to the ill person.

The clinic is trying to give responsibility back to the patient with the goal, that the patient is empowered and is able to cope after the time in the clinic.
Another goal is also, that patients are enabled to break through the circle of being readmitted over and over again. The Peer is trying to help in this context to search with the patient for resources that a currently covered up due to the crisis.

An example of empowerment in my time in the clinic was my involvement with medication.
I was from the beginning asked about the medication and the dosage.
I was never forced to take medication or to try new ones without consent.
When I talked to my classmates, it came clear, that my experience was sadly unique.

Also an important point is the preparation with the patient before the dismissal.
Working on strategies that will empower the patient to return to a „normal“ life.

The second main topic was Stigma.


Stigma and self stigmatization is a topic that is moving me and is very important to me.

The fight against stigma specially mental illnesses is actually the main reason why I started this blog.

It is so important to me, that I sign off my posts with my real name.
I’m a very private person and I like my anonymity. Usually I was hiding behind nick names. But this time I decided that this topic is too important to me to hide. I came to the conclusion, that I am able to speak about my mental illness and in doing so I would be able to give others hope. Also a reason for this blog, is to have an antidote against the media, where the the need, fears and interest of us disabled are sometimes really harsh stepped on. Most of the time surely not in a bad attempt of hurting us, rather out of unknowing of the topic and no or bad research.

I am doing this EX-IN (Experienced Involvement) education. So I have a huge advantage. Meaning I don’t have to fear in not getting a job due to my disability or to be laid off. My disability is actually an advantage in finding and getting a job in future.

So I think I have the assignment to stand up for me, but specially for others that are currently unable to do so.

EDIT: I found this short film about Stigma and it fit in here I think


Regarding self stigmatization I am also not yet immune to do exactly that.
On the 3rd day of the Modul we had guest from the clinic St. Urban. All professionals and we prepared the 2 topics for them to give input on what we are hoping would change in clinics and what was helping us in the time when we where patients.
I was, before we where starting the presentation in a panic state. Thought of „you will fail“ „you are a failure“ and so on came to my my mind.
But
Also the thoughts hey you having old thinking behaviors and just keep calm it will be fine.
And the presentation was a success. As soon as it started I calmed down and I was in the moment.
Just to say even tho I am well started on my own recovery way I also struggle!!!
Hope that it gives you also confidence as I speak about my own shortcomings.

Aside from those topics we made a couple of exercises.
I like to focus on one, that moved me the most.

It was called 10 words.

We where asked to write down 10 words. Those words should have resembled a story where we have been empowered.

The stories of others are too personal to share here, so I can only present you my own.

My 10 words are


Hopeless
Fear Failure Worthless Tired of Life Firematch Hope Fixed Star Future Peer

1st Classmate description:

… After a long time I found a match in my pocket and used it. After seeing a glimmst of light I found a way out of the hole that i was in for such a long time. Arriving „upstairs“ the light from the match vanished. After a short time, where my eyes adapted to the darkness again, I looked up and saw the sky full of stars. I selected my own fixed star. I followed it to my future as Peer.

2nd Classmate description:

… The small fire of the match went higher and higher and got bigger and bigger, until it became a fix star, It burned of all the negativity of my past. Now it is acting like a lighthouse and giving me orientation. And the future way became clear, The education as Peer.

The actual story that is behind my 10 words are this (short version).

After many years of hopelessness, fear, feeling as a failure and being worthless I came to a point of getting tired of life. Even as far as trying to end my life by jumping on the rails.
Then I attended a course with the title „Recovery“. Funny side note in the beginning I entered this course to avoid another therapy that I didn't liked.
Funny coincidence don’t you think ;-)
Anyway. I met my first Peer in this course. I felt and thought, that her story was far worse then mine. And a tiny fire from a match enlighten hope in me. The thought if she was able to conquer her illness I had the chance to do so as well.
And this course was really the way out of the hopelessness. The hope of a future that was worth living was formed. The wish of becoming a peer and bringing also hope to patients in a crisis. It became my fixed star, my goal. With many coincidences and luck I really got a place in the education.


Thats my story behind my 10 words. But the descriptions from the others moved me. I also got very interesting new meanings for the symbolics I where choosing.

For me the exercise that will stay in my mind. I hope we will do a similar one in future.

So I think that should be enough for a management summary.
I still feeling privileged to be a part of an extraordinary group of people that I call now friends.

Take care night owls
Best regards, Dirk P. Flörchinger

Popular posts from this blog

CBASP Therapie

🇬🇧🇺🇸About & Disclamer

🇩🇪🇨🇭 Management Summary Modul 6 (10-12. Oktober 2017)